Sunday, September 1, from 1pm
Entries: Saturday, August 31, 12-4pm; Sunday, September 1, 8.30-11:00am
To download this year's NEW SHOW SCHEDULE, please click on page.
2019 Show Secretary:
Come to the Show!
The time is now upon us for the annual Golf Course Allotments Association Show! GCAA members who plan to enter produce, fruit, flowers, or domestic goods for judging in the show can do so on Saturday the 31st between 12 and 4 pm, or on the morning of Sunday the 1st, between 8.30 and 11 am. The entries desk is now located in the Trading Shed, and your exhibits must be staged for judging by 11.15 am at the very latest.
For those who will be coming just to enjoy a beautiful afternoon on the allotments, the Show will be open from 1 to 4.30 pm. Entry is via the Winton Avenue gates, and the entry fee is £4. Here's what you can expect:
* Exhibits of our members' vegetables, flowers, fruit, jams, and cakes. There is even a Novelty Section for the more unusual entries. It all makes for interesting viewing, and you can get to see what talented gardeners we have on the site.
* Stalls from which you can buy plants, fresh produce, books, honey, and the always-popular GCAA calendar.
* The chance to win not just one but two fantastic baskets full of goodies in raffles that will benefit the National Garden Scheme and the GCAA.
* The Bottle Tombola - a fun activity for young and old alike!
* For the kids: the opportunity to win acclaim for guessing the weight of the pumpkin or the number of sweets in the jar.
* A tremendous array of homemade goods to choose from in our teas hut - savouries, sandwiches, salads, cakes, and more, all donated by our generous members - not to mention thirst-quenching tea and squash.
* A tour of the allotments (starting from 2 pm).
* The awarding of trophies and applause to all those who have entered exhibits in the Show, including the presentation to our Gardener of the Year!
It all makes for a terrific day out - so do be sure to come!
How Can You Help?
1. We need all cups, shields, and trophies to be handed in now. If you won an award last year and haven't yet returned it, please do so.
2. Bottle Tombola - please bring in any bottles (within use by date) to the community hut or into the trading shed. They do not have to be alcohol - they can be anything in a bottle (bubble bath, etc.).
3. Donations for the Plant Stall will be very welcome! Please start bringing in your donations on Saturday the 31st.
4. Produce Sale: We will need jams, chutneys, and fresh produce on the day, so please reserve some for the show (of course, not the ones you plan to enter!). You can drop your donations off at the Produce Stall from Saturday the 31st onwards.
5. Books: There will also be a book stall, and we welcome donations of books to sell. Please bring them at any time and leave them n one of the tables in the large tent behind the community hut.
6. Also welcome will be donations to our always-popular teas. Start planning what you will bring in the way of cakes, savouries, sandwiches, and salads. We will take donations for the teas in the community hut starting from 10 am on Sunday.
7. If you are a GCAA member: ENTER THE SHOW! We would love you to participate by actually entering something - especially novices. If everyone entered just a few items, the show would be overflowing. See above for the link to the SHOW SCHEDULE, which you can download and print. Entry forms are at the end of the schedule.
8. If you are not yet on the allotment mailing list, sign up now! We send periodic announcements to allotment members with important information on activities, work parties, and cafés, among other things. And all Show-related news will be emailed, so be sure you're on the mailing list! To sign up, fill out the form at the bottom of this page!
Any questions, please contact Elin Murphy, Show Secretary (email@example.com).